Here are links to assist when working with Learners that might have specific needs.
- NAASLN Webinar – Download this free video seminar on strategies for teaching adults with special learning needs. Presented by Sarah Goldammer
- Bright Solutions for Dyslexia– Sharing the latest research on dyslexia and tips for someone who has been diagnosed with dyslexia
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESL or ESOL)
- EL/Civics Online – A four-part series of online courses to prepare ESL instructors and volunteers to integrate U.S. history, U.S. government, civic engagement, and the naturalization process into adult ESL classes.
- www.lyricstraining.com/ – listen to songs in English and fill in the blanks, practice typing and listening skills
- www.fluentland.com/ – Provides English lessons, forums, games, customize to different levels
- en.islcollective.com/worksheets – Printable ESOL worksheets for multiple levels.
- www.americaslibrary.gov -American history site by the Library of Congress. Includes games, activities and a reading list.
- www.businessenglishsite.com/business-english-other-tests.html – Business English vocabulary and lessons for high-level ESOL students.
- www.cambridge.org/us/esl/venturesadulted/venturesarcade/ – Online lessons and worksheets to compliment Cambridge University Press’s Ventures curricula.
- www.dailyesl.com – Conversation starters and English speaking practice ideas.
- www.eastsideliteracy.org/tutorsupport/ESL/ESLTalkTimeTopics.htm – Conversation starters and English language skill topics.
- www.esl.about.com – Sign up for the weekly newsletter for ESOL tips and tricks.
- www.eslbrains.com/ – Focuses on business English, but includes other subjects as well. Features video lessons and worksheets for expanded learning and comprehension.
- www.eslcafe.com – Lesson plans, pronunciation guides, worksheets, and ESOL quizzes.
- www.eslflow.com/Picturelessonsandteachingideas.html – Picture-based lesson plans and worksheets.
- www.eslgold.com – Audio and animations focusing on pronunciation, vocabulary, and writing.
- www.englishwithjennifer.com – Lesson plan tips and tricks, along with videos for English pronunciation, idioms, and conversation skills.
- www.englishcentral.com – Watch and learn English pronunciation through listening and speaking activities. Includes quizzes.
- www.engvid.com -Video recordings of ESOL lessons focusing on pronunciation, vocabulary, and conversation skills.
- www.manythings.org – Interactive site with word games, worksheets, and ESOL vocabulary lessons.
- www.teaching-esl-to-adults.com/best-esl-lesson-plans.html – ESOL lesson plans, worksheets, and information on TESOL certification.
- www.tolearnenglish.com/cgi2/myexam/index.php – Searchable multi-lesson activities and lessons with video and audio recordings.
- www.usalearns.org – Interactive site with quizzes, lessons, and a weekly newsletter.
- www.usingenglish.com/teachers/lesson-plans/level-advanced.html – Advanced topics and worksheets for high-level ESOL students
- https://learnwithnews.com/ -Use the news to teach English
- https://engoo.com/app/daily-news – Use the news to teach English
Conversational – Advanced
- ISL Collective– Printable ESOL worksheets for multiple levels
- Boggles World ESL (Lanternfish)– Printable ESOL worksheets, quizzes, and activities
- Using English– Advanced topics and worksheets for high-level ESOL students
- ESL Charts– 12 Tense Timeline (Easy to Understand)
- ESL Grammar Worksheets – On this page you will find several printable ESL grammar exercises dealing with all aspects of English grammar, including parts of speech, tenses, embedded questions, relative clauses, etc. The ESL grammar worksheets on this page were developed for use in our own classes; each page explains the grammar points clearly and with simple language, and includes writing and review exercises to reinforce the material. Great for big classes or one-on-one students!