How the Program Works
- Intake interview and confidential assessment of each learner
- Identification of the learner’s personal goals
- Learner is matched with an appropriate tutor
- Learner is provided one-on-one tutoring, small-group and independent computer-based learning
- Learner is retested and assessed for progress on a regular basis
- Adults who request our services are matched with volunteers who have been trained to act as tutors.
- Each learner/tutor pair meet weekly for 2 hours of one-on-one personalized, confidential tutoring; these sessions usually occur at the CALC office at a time that accommodates the student’s and tutor’s schedules.
The office is available day or evening with abundant resources to support the tutor’s instructional plan. As the student/tutor pair work together, the CALC staff provides instructional support and guidance. CALC also collaborates with organizations that provide related services. By information-sharing and cross-referrals, we work in tandem with many community agencies, including adult education and training/workforce programs, the Charlotte County Library, and local social services departments.
- have good reading, writing, and oral communication skills
- be well organized and good at planning
- be a good listener
- be patient, compassionate, non-judgmental, and committed
- Complete the Tutor Training
- Provide two hours of tutoring each week
- Commit to one year of service
- Be respectful of student’s confidentiality
- Tutor only in a public place—not in your home or student’s home
- Attend other tutor workshops offered
- Fill out Progress Reports each month for Program Director
- Notify Program Director if the student is not attending regularly or if problems arise
- Ask the Program Director for lesson advice if needed
- Notify Program Director of changes in your contact information or if you plan to take a break longer than two weeks
- Notify and explain to the Program Director if either you or your student decides to stop sessions
Look for updates on the next Tutor Training dates. You can also contact us and add your name to our list. Then we’ll send you a direct notification when our next training is scheduled.
Follow us on Facebook.
Call 542-5782 for more information.
Download and print a volunteer application